Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

As a parent, we can only do so much to influence our children's decision making. We rear them as best we can. Communicate with them as best we can. Expose them to things. And so on. Ultimately they're on their own. And will have choices to make. For better or worse.

If one of my boys is having some decision-making time, there are a few ways they'd respond:
  1. I am gonna ask Dad about that and follow through accordingly
  2. I am gonna ask Dad about that, then make my own decision
  3. I know what Dad would say and I'll do that
  4. I know what Dad would say and I won't do as he'd want

And as they get older, I'd imagine its:
  1. I believe that it is fine to do that
  2. I know I shouldn't do that
In Matthew 8 we hear the story of the Centurion who describes himself as "a man under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes, and to my slave, ‘Do this!’ and he does it."

My kids are under authority. Mine (or my wife's), their own, or that of their choosing. I don't have a lot of control over it. I pray. And I trust God. He made them after all. And His desires for them are far better than mine.

But who's authority do I choose to be under? All too often an incorrect authority - my own, or one of my choosing (hope that's not the case with my kids).

There is a fine line of life under authority, and "the way is narrow that leads to life". It takes, discipline, effort, and a willingness to live under authority - wherever that authority leads. If I choose to live under God's authority, I need to be in communion with Him. And sensitive to the pulse of the Spirit. I cannot do it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment