Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Happy Birthday, Susan

I once heard a story about a guy who was a pretty renowned speaker who used to travel around orating to large groups, speaking into many lives, making a great living. He was in high demand. He really loved what he did. Then one day, he found out that his wife had a pretty intense disease which had her bedridden and in need of his daily care and attention. He then gave up his career and stayed home tending to his wife. This speaker was once asked in an interview if he regrets giving up his career and having to stay home and care for his wife. He replied to the question, "HAVE to stay home?", "I GET to stay home!". He recognized that there is a wonderful commitment in marriage. For better for worse. In sickness and in health.

We recently saw the mockery of marriage from the Kardashian clan. Outside of the sanctity of marital union being treated so lightly, these folks and often so many others miss out on what the GET to do.

My wife is celebrating the beginning of what I believe (we never can remember) is her 47th year. For the past 14 of these, I have been honored to be her husband. And a few year's prior to our marriage, we became the best of friends. While this is a birthday and not an anniversary, I want to share a little about what I love about my wife and our marriage.

My wife is an amazing person who has always supported the underdog, and throughout our time together, she's been a tremendous supporter of me (a frequent underdog). She is beautiful and still carries the youthful charms from the day I met her and I am crazy about. She has maintained friendships since her youth and loves her parents (all three of them) dearly. She is devoted and can be counted on through good times and bad. She loves her children and desires the best for them and from them. She is imperfect. She puts up with me. And I love her.

And I love what we GET to do. We GET to walk through life together. We GET to struggle together. We GET to laugh together. We GET to cry together. We GET to serve each other. We GET to course correct each other. We GET to build each other up. We GET to love each other....even when it is hard.

Life is hard. Relationships are hard. But the robustness of life and marriage comes from what we GET to go through together. All of us.

I love you, Susan. I am honored you love me. Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment