Saturday, January 28, 2012

Self Service

The compassion toward a greater domestic and world need seems to be more apparent than ever.  Perhaps because there is a greater need than ever. There's definitely a 60's quality to it. Occupy protests and ideologically-driven recommendations are debated. Lots of organizations focused on the poor, the aids-ridden, world debt. Continents and third world nations are focused upon to bring micro economies, clean water, and lifting general living conditions.

We hear of great organizations like Tom's Shoes who makes shoes and gives a pair to a child in need for every pair bought. Shaun's Shades and their buy their sunglasses and glasses are given to help the visually impaired. Matchstic, an Atlanta-based branding firm has their On the House program offering their branding and design talents to qualified organizations and non profits. And a friend of mine has recently started Mwana providing blankets for African babies to sleep well through a cold night.

These are all great organizations that are applying gifts and incredible talents in wonderful ways to serve others.

I was in a brief conversation yesterday with a guy and we were touching base on how wonderful organizations like the above have taken entrepreneurial efforts for the benefit of others. And we were speaking about the talent of the entrepreneur. Their skill set, their vision, and drive. And how we may not all possess those talents to do something like that.

But we can. It can start with our neighbor. Its an attitude.

I believe we should all carry that spirit. Not that we must start some 501c3 organization to find clean water sources to qualify. But identify the needs within our community. Our neighborhoods. Our friends. Our areas of influence. The opportunity is there.

And we need to start with activity. Not an "I should really do something like that", but just freaking do it. Steal time. Reach out. Get creative.

I am such a group follower and can be swayed and influenced by the mob. If a group movement is taking place, I'm in. But I need to stretch beyond that. These are individual decisions to act upon. And some of them may be God-breathed. We must respond. And I am holding myself accountable to this with the words on this page.

I'm not talking "pay it forward". I am talking investment.

Proverbs 21:13 “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.”

James 1:27 “Religion that God our father counts as pure and faultless is this, to look after widows and orphans in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

And then, let's not make a big deal about it. Facebook doesn't need to know of your good deeds.

Imagine a movement of individuals taking individual steps to reach the needy, and impact their situations. And nobody heard about it.

Mark 7:35-36 "At this, the man’s ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly. Jesus commanded them not to tell anyone." 

Matthew 6:17-18 "But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to go back and reread some of these postings. I honestly feel a bit hypocritical with the "Facebook doesn't need to know of your good deeds." statement above. Clearly I have posted things on facebook and have recently done some food donation solicitation via that social network as well. I guess if you find me hypocritical, forgive me. I mean well, and don't want to self promote or appear that I think I am any better or "holier" than anyone else. I'm trying, y'all...

    ReplyDelete