Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Rock and a Soft Place

Yesterday I wrote as to the pre-teen display of curt communication and lack of any desire to participate in some family chores. Well, last night I got the yin to that yang.

At bedtime, my first born and I have a ritual of reading a daily devotion (first of all, I can't believe I do that. I have never considered myself "that guy" who actually is consistent in that sort of thing, but I may be turning out to be like "him"), which is a very special time and can lead to some wonderful conversation. Last night it did. This same guy who hadn't the slightest interest or attitude to wash a family car engaged in an incredible conversation about God, Heaven, what it'll be like, what we'll be like, and the like.

Now my first born is a guy who is incredibly factual. This concept of faith, and believing what you don't see or understand is almost incomprehensible—perhaps not even almost. It was an incredible joy to me to talk with this guy about things that truly fascinated him. And he even quizzically debated these out-of-this-world things with an incredible smile on his face. Like he wanted to believe it but really couldn't. No incredible conclusions with the conversation. It was just a wonderful time of wonderment about God, who He is, what He is like, what His world is like.

I've had the discussion with friends before that being a parent may give you a peak at what it is like to be God as Father over His children (us and others). Yesterday, I wrote of how our behavior is often incredibly selfish towards an incredibly gracious God. Well, last night, I believe I got a glimpse at the joys of God and His love of His children (us and others), and the joy He has in intimate communication with us and others.

I pray that I can keep that perspective of fascination, communication and wonderment. It is very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment