Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Excited Right Now

My first born (#1) is approaching the end of his elementary school days and will, next August, set foot onto a bus ride to school for the first time, as well as encounter the excitement, fear and drama of middle school. The other day, I was reminded of in Matthew 7:13 which states "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction..." I shared this with #1 who promptly elicited an "OKAY, dad—I GET it". Now this is by no means a wonderful embracing of this piece of scripture. It was more like a stop nagging me about this do the right thing stuff.

For sure this guy is entering into a new life season. #1 has always been a challenger, and this new season will bring more of these challenges. To be honest, to a degree I am looking forward to these challenges (be careful what you wish for, Rick). I have put forth great efforts to form good communication between #1 and me which will allow for him (hopefully) to hear and believe me a bit.

I also believe that as Paul wrote in Philippians 1:6, "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.". This encourages me. I have more than my own parenting, communication, and relationship with #1 to rely upon. God will carry out a better plan and He will do a better job nurturing, coaching, fathering, and relating than I could ever possibly do. I just need to continue to let my sons know this (see 4/13 blog, Unleashed).

Today, I am excited about #1's growing into a new season in life. I also know that my wife and I will have many hairy roads ahead. Some of which will truly test our marriage and my own faith. Today I am excited. Tomorrow may be a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment