Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Idle Worship

In the not too distant past, I removed the Facebook application from my smart phone. Nothing against Facebook, its just that I was spending way too much time checking in on things. I soon found that I actually was able to occupy thoughts in my down time in a different capacity. I found time for contemplation, conversation, etc. Well recently, I'd taken up an online word-play game which while very fun and creative, soon for me became overly competitive and a bit addicting. It started filling what little white space in my life there was—encompassing a good bit of my thought first thing in the morning and continuing throughout the day.

I had to throw in the towel. I've found that when I fill any hint of white space in my life up with busyness or just plain stuff, I lose opportunities to live a life of worship. I used to think that worship is mostly the music, closed eyes, and hand-raising thing. As I've grown, I realize that worship truly shows itself in how I live. I can't have this type of worship sit idly by while I numb myself with whatever the white-space-sucker-of-the-day is for me.

A couple weeks ago, a friend who'd just spent a good bit of time with a Brazilian missionary spoke as to how, upon seeing all this missionary was doing, he realized he was living in a Movie About Me. Man, that is so true! I live in Movie About Me a lot. I don't need that starring role. I need to push more and more for the best supporting actor performance in Movies About Others. And I need to use time to do this. Not waste my time.

"We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies." 2 Thessalonians 3:11

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Rick. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word Rick. I deactivated my FB account for this very reason. We need to disconnect to connect !

    Brad

    ReplyDelete