Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Result or Reason

Yesterday I heard the phrase "Reputation Management". I have recently considered reputation a good bit.  I am reading a book which has brought up the importance of having a "good reputation" on more than one occasion. And that a Christian should be a person with a "good reputation". I am not sure if that is altogether true. As Christians we are called to be like Jesus. To love. To serve. To honor. To humble ourselves. To move. These are activities. Reputation is not an activity. Activities produce results. Our reputation shouldn't be a reason to do anything. Our reputation—whatever it may be—is a result of our activities. When we place our reputation as the driver, our focus is off and we can miss things along the way as we set to achieve our goal. Our reputation is what people think. Webster online defines Reputation as " a : overall quality or character as seen or judged by people in general b : recognition by other people of some characteristic or ability".

In 1Timothy as Paul (I think) outlines considerations for church leadership, he speaks that one must have a "good reputation with outsiders". I believe Paul, a radical, a prisoner, a former killer, and a self described "chief of sinners", most likely was talking about the results of actions. As his reputation (a good one I might add) was engrossed in activity.


If someone has a reputation for being an a-hole, he is probably quite selfish. If someone has a reputation for being very clever, he is probably smart-witted. The activities of these folks most likely have created their reputation. I doubt an a-hole would set out to be an a-hole, or a clever person would set out and say "I am going to be clever".

Why do we do things? Do I deliver? Or do I want to be thought of as a guy who delivers? Am I kind? Or do I want to be thought of as kind?


If we set out to be a "good Christian", I think we'll miss the mark. Consider our activities, and for what reason do we do things. Am I doing this to serve others? To honor God? To be selfless as Christ was selfless? Or am I looking to have an unblemished reputation? 

No comments:

Post a Comment