Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Peak Performance

I was in conversation with a dear friend last week—discussing parenting and faith. We began talking about the energy that we must put forth into relationships. With God, children, spouses, friends, and colleagues. And it does take energy (as those with kids can surely attest).

I think that sometimes my faith in God can turn lazy. I can have a relatively "hands off" approach to my faith walk. Not an "I don't care" hands off, but an "I do care, but I trust God more than I trust myself, so I'll just leave this one alone"*. This can become a Pontius Pilatesque-out of my hands washing, which is not appropriate when action or participation needs to take place. Conversely, some can become too meddlesome with their faith walk, and not leave enough room for chance experience, or for God's intentions to differ from theirs.

Now there is a fine line we need to walk in faith. Its takes energy. And core strength. And balance. The below illustration came to mind as I imagined the struggle to maintain the right path in faith.
When we balance across the "peak", we realize how quickly things can shift if we are not paying attention to where we are going or what we are doing. A little leaning can turn into quick careening.

God calls us to walk along the peak. Matthew 7:14 shares "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."And in order to do this we have to recognize those things which will cause us to lean over to far and have our momentum carry us. As well as keep our antenna up to those things which will grab hold and pull.

For me, when I start to "lean lazy", I may not be participating at a level I need to as a Dad to my boys. Conversely, when I start to "lean controlling", I can have my own conclusions begin to differ from what God may have in mind in a given situation.

We have to perform at the peak—the narrow road.

May we stay energized through communication and community. Keep our core strong through prayer and time in the Word. And keep our lives open and available to be counterbalanced when needed.



*I do believe that an abandoned faith is a good thing, and that when we relinquish control to God we are in a good place, however, clearly God calls us to and for action, and not to simply stay put.

No comments:

Post a Comment