Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Role in Relation

My oldest son's facebook status states that he's "in a relationship". For his age perhaps that's too young to be in a relationship. Or maybe I'm just too old.

I was in a conversation with a friend the other day and we were discussing the difference between culture and relationship. Culture is defined as "the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group".  Relationship, "a connection, association, or involvement." With these definitions in mind—regarding culture, I think we can believe things and have behaviors, but I am not sure we can create or develop culture, it more or less happens. But with relationship, there is more proactivity. We can pursue relationship. We can start a relationship. We can leave a relationships (most of 'em). We can nurture relationship.

Relationships require people to have a position—a role. I am a husband. I am a Dad. I am a friend. A son. A colleague. A member. An employee. A child of God. Each of these relationships require me to play a certain part. And for each of these relationships to best function, those in them need to understand and fulfill their part.

The Father. The Son. The Holy Spirit. These Guys have it right. Perhaps being all in one is a help. Perhaps being perfect is another. Easy for Them, eh? There must be some sort of otherworldly pulse that goes on as they go about Their business of omnipotence, redemption and wisdom.

So what is my role in my relationships. Different in each, but I must understand and embrace it. I must play it out. With genuineness. If not understood and not genuine, I will not receive from, or bring to the relationship, that which is fullest.

John 1:18 says "No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known." 

Our relationships should make known, or give honor to the others within them. Do I make God known in my relationship with Him and my role as child? Do my actions in public showcase my marriage and my role as a husband. Do my efforts at work prove trustworthy and faithful honoring my role as employee? Does my servitude show my leadership? Does my stewardship and counsel reflect a good dad? 

Philippians 2:5 states "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus".

I suppose this is the only way I could possibly live each out. Or want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment