Friday, October 1, 2010

But Why?

My first born has quite the propensity to ask "why". If I ask him to stop doing something—why?. If I ask him start doing something—why?. It can be a series of whys that builds and builds to a potential boiling point on occasion. He may want to skip out on the task at hand, but the boy is also just a curious cat. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this in order to turn the boiling down to the general household simmer. Occasionally I pull out a "because I said so". Which, in my opinion, should be enough. Unfortunately, we don't always see eye to eye on that rationale.

But what about us. Do we ask ourselves "why?".* What are the motives behind what we say and do. Do we truly examine our thoughts, our actions and what directs or influences us. I am not talking blue or white socks, but more like "why did I just say that?". "Why did I just think that?". What are our motives. Are we self aware enough to know this? And when we do examine the motives, are we happy with that which has motivated us?

When I do consider my "why", all to often it can be "because I say/think/did so", or "because I felt like it", and not truly understanding or considering my influences, which tend to lean towards the selfish nature. I need to take more time to ask the "why" in my life.



* I'm not talking child/parent dialogue about cleaning a room, here. But a broader scope of decision making, commenting, and a general living out of things.

2 comments:

  1. I stopped a good deal of analytical thinking a long, long time ago and go solely on instinct. Removing the "why's" and therefore a good deal of detail from my life has mentally freed my ongoing internal dialog and created more time to think about what is really important, instead of getting bogged down in the small mental battles that can occur with every thought/decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if it's a "bogged down" thing, and that there is an encompassing internal dialogue. Perhaps it is moreover a self-assessment, self awareness and self confidence. And after this consideration, the instinct is more on point to where we'd intend or wish or believe.

    ReplyDelete