Saturday, June 19, 2010

Thanks Dad

As I was sweating through a sunny, 80 some odd degree, Father's Day eve walk this morning, I was thinking about my old man. Traditionally, I'd be searching for a card today, and looking forward to spending time with my Dad tomorrow. Relaxing with a cold beer, some good food, a decent sports viewing on the tube, and just being with him. My heart and mind thought I should mix it up a bit this year and get a little deeper regarding my pop. So Dad, the below is for you.

Dad,

I want to share with you some of the many ways you've fathered and influenced me.

Dad as Constant: We used to have a family joke that if Dad were a color, he'd be beige. Originally this was due to clothing color choice and an incredibly subdued nature, but as I look a little deeper here, I recognize that Dad was always there in a beige-like capacity. He'd sit back and more or less observe. I believe that this is where he received some of his greatest parental joy—watching his sons (I am one of three) in varied interactions while enjoying mild interaction, and really resting in the joy of simply taking it all in.

Dad as Caretaker: Dad really has a passion for quiet caretaking. I have seen this over many years as his child. Dad was a car dealer who owned a few dealerships throughout his time in the industry. Dad would work Monday through Saturday and NEVER bring home (to my knowledge) business issues or concerns. He quietly provided for his family, almost as though it was avowed. As I grew on through college, I saw Dad wrap his paternal wings around various young men who were in need of counsel, financial support, and even a roof over their heads. Dad's "fatherhood" stretched far.

Dad as Selfless Leader: Dad had many men in his life, but some I had the opportunity to uniquely experience was when I worked in the Service Department of his Chrysler dealership for a year after high school and the summer's through college. Here is where I observed what people said about him. I got to see his interaction with those on his payroll and how he communicated with and lead them. I listened to some guys who'd worked for him for years speak of him as a "good man". I've also seen him give second chances to some hardship cases and be gracious in all professional areas. Dad put his folks first.

Dad as Defender: In what was most likely Dad's most unbeige-like moment, I had the incredible opportunity to see him in a temple-table-turning instance. I sat behind the Parts Department counter and witnessed a guy, who'd brought his car in for some service, berate the Service Manager in a way that was beyond simply being disgruntled about a bill. My Dad walked into the discussion and listened to this guy rant on a little further, then proceeded to tear up the guys bill and vigorously tell him to get out. If looks could kill, I don't know what sort of shape that guy would be in as I glared at him from behind the counter as he huffed out the door. Dad would not allow for his team to be belittled and insulted.

Now I've seen you change over the years as your reliance upon our Heavenly Father, your faith in our Lord Jesus, and your trust in a life of prayer, has grown. I have seen a quiet and reserved man stand in church with his hands opened (in your uniquely beige-like manner) place himself under God's control and grace.

Dad, while the above are merely glimpses of your life and of your influence I want to say that now, as a father of two boys, I cannot appreciate you more. You are a shining example of a man, and a shining example of a dad. I love you. Thank you for being exactly who you are. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

As for tomorrow, I look forward to a couple of cold beers, some brats, and just being beige.

Your son,

Rick

1 comment:

  1. Honey...this is absolutely beautiful! You too are a wonderful man and Father just like your dad! I love you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete