Friday, July 23, 2010

Mornings with Dolly: An Introduction

So I am on vacation with the family and have left the heat of Atlanta for the cool breeze (at the moment) of the Maine coast and Bailey Island. Now Bailey Island is a wonderful sleepy lobster fishing village where I’ve vacationed since I was a child. I figured this would be a great place for some deep thought and some unique inspirations for me to think and write about. Well, its taken a while for me to find a launching point. Perhaps the first few days were solely intended to encompass good family time, conversations, and certainly some cold beer.

Little did I know that amid all of God’s splendor of the “Down East” Maine coastline, my inspiration would come from a medium-sized, floppy eared, black mutt named Dolly. Perhaps I need to give a nod to Donald Miller’s recent blog postings from his own dog, but we really can’t target some of our sources of inspiration, and if it happens to come from an animal who takes an unabashed shit while you stand and wait, so be it.

So I’ve decided to create a few postings drawn from my morning walks with my brothers dog, Dolly.

Now my wife and I are dog people, and my boys certainly would like to be. But I have confirmed something as to my household and dogs. While on vacation getting up and going for an hour-long walk across an island is quite nice, regardless of how early you get started. However, a cold rainy Monday morning when you need to get to the office is another story. I love dogs. We just don’t own one. So this brief stint at dogging it is fun, but will most likely leave the conversation as we exit off the island in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment