Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pelotons

According to Wikipedia, a peloton is "a field, bunch or pack...the large main group of riders in a road bicycle race. Riders in a group save energy by riding close (drafting or slipstreaming) near (particularly behind) other riders. The reduction in drag is dramatic; in the middle of a well-developed group it can be as much as 40%."

I heard mentioned once the concept of spiritual pelotons. We all should ensure we have at least one peloton in our lives. Groups of folks who we take the life race/ride alongside who serve as teammates. People we ride closely with who can work together to "reduced the drag" in life. As per the above definition can reduce life's drag by as much as 40%. Imagine that. I can think back on many times where I could have used a drastic reduction on the headwind in my life.

I assume much of the benefit of the peloton is derived from a self-awareness and a selfless awareness:
  • A self-awareness to recognize when I might be in need of rest (whatever that might look like). In addition, we also need to be transparent and prideless enough to allow this to happen. Sometimes a "buck up" approach is not the answer, and a willingness to say "help" is what is needed.
  • A selfless awareness to ensure I am in tune with the other members of my peloton. To understand when I should take the lead and provide a draft to take on the headwind for another.
Within the peloton, "Teams generally attempt to cluster their members... in order to maximize their ability to affect the pack as a whole." Life throws too much at us to go it alone. If there are opportunities to "maximize the affect of the pack", we should grab them*.


*Of course the maximization of a bad thing is not good. I recall Bill Cosby in a stand up bit say something like "I was talking to a friend who did cocaine 'cause it 'intensified his personality' to which I replied, 'what if you're an asshole.". Obviously we need to be careful as to our peloton choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment