Thursday, September 2, 2010

Graphic Teesus

I am in marketing. I participate in the sale every day. I understand targeting messages toward a customer. I've seen marketing done in honest and dishonest ways. And many times I have seen over thought, over consideration, and over messaging which doesn't even allow a product to speak on its own. It is lost in the delivery.

Nike has done an outstanding job of marketing its brand moreso than its product. I wonder who truly researches and understands the benefits of a Nike shoe vs. another manufacturers. I'd venture to say it has mostly to do with the swoosh on the side and the credence it holds*. You could say this is exemplary. And perhaps it is within the industry and the marketplace.

I am curious if we are doing the same thing with "church". There seems to be an overemphasis on style and performance in many churches or faith experiences these days.

Now this is nothing new. The pharisees had their performance of overobedience to the law, and the pomposity associated with it. We've been exposed to our fair share of over-the-top faith healing southern baptist preachers, not to mention Arsenio Hall's hysterical black Pentecostal portrayal from Coming to America. And I am sure there were many others along the way. I am curious that if today's representation of a pastor et al. would be some skinny jeans, cool hair, and a graphic tee.

Is there too much of a blending into current cultural experiences from our churches? Do we feel a need to provide entertainment from our churches**? Does God need us to do this? Or does this get between us and God? I wonder what God would think of the time and energy spent on strategic thinking and messaging discussion on how to reach "today's" audience in a relevant way. Does God need help reaching? Is the ancient-of-days-way not relevant anymore?

Now to be transparent and clear. I have a pair of designer jeans (they were a gift). I have a couple of graphic tees. I go to a church which has some tremendous worship time, gifted singers and musicians, and a dynamic spirit-filled preacher. I'm not saying this stuff is wrong, but we just need to ensure it holds its proper position. Subservient to God.

A buddy was sharing something that is going on in Idaho called Cowboy Church. I guess this is just some folks in some fields with some pickups—reading their Bibles, talking about God, praying and singing a bit. Sort of sounds like an upper room from a long time ago.

Maybe I am old fashioned...




*Clearly Nike makes a good product or they wouldn't have been able to leverage their brand and product line as successfully as they have.
**Certainly it makes sense to reach an audience where and how they need to be reached, but I believe sometimes this dilutes the reality of God and sort of makes him more like us instead of the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment