Friday, July 15, 2011

The Audacity of Me

I was feeling a bit uninspired from a faith-walk standpoint. Things were just sort of plodding along. I'm sure many of us do feel this way, or have at points in our lives. Perhaps all to often.

A friend loaned me Francis Chan's Crazy Love. The first chapter or two into the book was enough to recalibrate me a good bit. Chan outlines, pretty effectively, the enormity and omnipresence and holiness of God. And it caused me to feel that I had a lot of nerve to feel uninspired. He also points the reader to a video on his website which tries to give a look at God's majesty. And really makes me feel like such a dumb ass for sitting around feeling uninspired.

In some respect the hippies may have had it right. They walked around telling us to love one another. And that all you need is love. And through most likely hallucinogen-influenced eyes looked at a flower for hours on end, and appreciated the beauty and intricacies of it. There's a Youtube video of a guy in Yosemite who is awed by a double rainbow (which of course its been auto tuned, but no less inspired). While there may be some mind influence in play, this guy seems to get it.

The audacity of us Christians who take for granted God. And his creation. I can sit and make a quick assessment or judgement on anyone around me. Forgetting that God numbers even the very hairs of their head. Or sit and ask God to inspire me. To show himself to me. So I can feel good.

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Rick. Francis Chan is certainly a go to for me when I start to feel a "lull" in my walk with Christ. It always blows me away that even though we are distant, He is not. As soon as we snap out of our selfishness, He is there waiting, never letting us walk alone.

    Here is a new Matt Redman song about God's unfailing pursuit of us, even when we are uninspired to pursue Him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=722zPX1npcA

    ReplyDelete