Thursday, August 30, 2012

Donkeys and Elephants and We, Oh My

I have been watching the Republican National Convention. This coupled with the onslaught of far left and far right broadcast and social media propaganda and opinion has gotten me quite frustrated. Frustrated more in the people, than the process.

The other day a Yahoo reporter was fired for stating that Mitt and Ann Romney are "happy to have a party with black people drowning" (apparently he didn't realize his microphone was on). And Chris Christie's "the educational savages will only put themselves ahead of children". Really?

We are incensed as a nation. We are pissed off at "them". And the fact that "they" hate what we love. And "they" are so "greedy. And they are so "lazy". And that's just the mainstream media (yes, mainstream, Fox News. You are a part of "them").

The status update anger on Facebook is seething, and will only get worse through the election. I shake my head, and while I'd like to share my opinion (as narrow as it may be), I hold off from commenting. I DON'T want to be a part of the rhetoric. I don't want to say or write. I want to do.

I watched a George HW Bush bio piece, and really was drawn to his "thousand points of light" thinking. Say what you will, but this guy who I am sure received his fair share of lambast, had a great heart for people, and was really on to something. What if we all did and didn't say. What if we all served instead of held. What if we worked instead of sat. What if we shared instead of told. What if we listened instead of walled.

"Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" And they were amazed at him (Mark 12:17).

What if we recognized what is God's and treated it accordingly?

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matt 22:37-40)

What if we lived these out and hung on them?

The reality is that there's a ton...a mountain...a world of national dept. The reality is there are a ton....a mountain....a world of undereducated and less fortuned. And tons, mountains and worlds of so ons. Lets ensure we're not pointing out the specs in eyes, and doing what we can do.




1 comment:

  1. Good post. my brother. There is so much antagonism in the rhetoric that it almost makes you tune out. What if....we adhered to the verses quoted, and brought our differences to the table with one goal, to help somebody, anybody?

    ReplyDelete