Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Taking Time

I remember as a child that I had an English teacher who used to say, "take your time, you are rushing". This same teacher used to tell me that I could do much better if I only applied myself (and I believe she wasn't the only one). I know that I now see this taking time concept not living itself out in the lives of my boys—particularly as it relates to homework. Certainly, taking our time, allowing for attention to detail, and ensuring we are doing a good job is great, but what about the concept of actually taking time? I am talking about stealing minutes from our days. We need to grab hold of some time.

Last night, I lay awake with a boatload of thoughts running through my head. Most of them of the professional sort. These nighttime mind whirlwinds can make us tired (ergo, the energy drink on my desk this morning), cause us confusion, and allow for worry. Amid my time awake, I was determined to take time today. Take time to participate in things which were not running through my head and keeping me awake. I am not encouraging irresponsible negligence of that which I need to accomplish, but ensuring my head is on straight through thought, prayer, and relationship with others.

Some time ago when I was sharing with a friend that I was "too busy" to work out, this friend responded with "Even the President has time to exercise.". Good point. Now I know I am still not good about working out and should more (a topic for another day, perhaps), but the point was clear. We need to be intentional with our days. Not just intentional about "getting work/stuff done".

Lets not make time. Lets take it. Steal it. Grab it. Own a piece of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment