Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Bugs Life

I have just started another Don Miller book, Through Painted Deserts. And from the sixth page or so, Miller has started to craft another great story. I love this guy. He truly is gifted at illustrating a unique perspective toward the Gospel, God, and Christianity itself*. And I am excited about taking a van ride, through this book, with Don and his buddy across half of the US through the pages.

So by the sixth page or so, Miller has started visiting "Western Christianities propositions of behavior modification" and how we are relatively programmed on "how" we do things. Things we all see a good bit of on bookshelves and blogs. How do I become a better Christian. How do I raise a child. How do I maintain a healthy marriage. How to succeed in business. How to become a better leader. Verses "why". Why do we treat things with different degrees of importance. Why do we, as Miller says, buy $50 jeans vs. $30 jeans.

I have a friend that shared that if we dig deep within ourselves as to "why" we do things—and keep asking deeper and deeper "whys", we might be surprised as to what we uncover. Why do I dress in a certain way. Why do I look at that person and think this. Why do I write. Why did she leave me. Why do I fill in the blank.

We are a being searching for answers. Or perhaps at least we should be thinking about them. I guess we could get too caught up the noise of life that we don't pause to take a literal or figurative van ride with a buddy across half of the US.

Our life should be asking why.** And when we uncover answers, act accordingly.
  • If our "why" identifies a piety or presupposed ism, we should stop. 
  • If our "why" identifies an behavior of over-security, we should loosen up and brave some more in life. Testing our faith.
  • If our "why" doesn't consider another culture —or even a counter-culture, we might need to step outside our world. 
  • If our "why" places a more expensive pair of jeans over another, we should....well you get where I am going.

I am challenged by this. I want to consciously ask why. I am sitting in a coffee shop and there are folks walking in and out. I see them and can easily develop quite an opinion. Why. Maybe its just me. Maybe I am just an ass.

So on page 13, Miller is leaving a rest area and squashes a bug. To which he states "all your questions are answered." Perhaps all our questions will be answered when we are squashed or snatched from this world. But what do we do for the time being.

What I mean, brothers and sisters, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they do not; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away. - 1 Corinthians 7:29-31





* Admittedly, sometimes I can get caught up in an author's opinion and perspective on life and keep The Author's book of Life secondary on the night stand. I don't believe Miller's perspective is un-biblical it's just that. A perspective. And I believe a good one. Hopefully I have a perspective of my own too.

**Sometimes I think our world, the makeup and beauty of it is screaming out its answer. We are just too blind to see. To busy. To self-absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment