Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Deep End Perspective

As a Dad, there are fewer things more wonderful than a day with one of your kids. I got to spend Saturday with my second born son. Of the two, he is not my default. Those of you with two kids probably can attest that there is one kid or the other whom you take on the responsibility of, or "cover". Well mine is my first born. So, when it is just #2 and me, it's pretty cool. He reminds me a lot of me. Pretty sensitive, creative, funny, and has a servant's heart.

The day started with a drive to Dave & Buster's arcade (or whatever gaming and experience thing they are called today). The interesting thing about a ride with #2 vs. #1 is that the radio does not have to come on. We don't have to listen to the latest driveled pop hip hop. While some is good, and I am a big Rhianna fan, the majority is over-produced noise with glutenous lyrics. But enough about my old man musical critique. So the ride with #2 is quiet. There is the opportunity for conversation. I try to dig in to some serious talk, opening the door for conversation about school, sex, friendship, my role as a Dad, etc., thinking "ah yes...these are the moments when you can open yourself up to your son, and he to you". But not necessarily #2.

Here is where the thing (one of them at least) that I love about #2 comes out. Out of the blue he says "When does the Westchester pool (our community pool) open?".

"Not for another couple of months, dude. I think around Memorial Day."

"You know why I like the pool, Dad? I love to go in the deep end, down into a little corner, and look up and see the people swimming above me."

That is what I dig so much about this guy. He sees life through such a unique lens. He used to say that he saw people in colors. "Dad, I think you're dark blue.".

Further along, we are eating at McDonalds (his choice), and I am asking him about how his Hip Hop class and Gymnastics class are going. He says "good" (the coined response from all kids). Then he says, "Dad, I don't want to join the gymnastics team. I don't like the competition. I just want to take the class. I just like to tumble and jump". Now I can't recall if the male in me thought this or said this with furrowed brow and all, "Now son, you know that competition is good and it allows a stage for you to prove and improve your skills". I think I just thought it.

So here's this guy. Sitting in a deep end looking up at the people above. Seeing people in colors. Not wanting to compete in gymnastics (at which he is VERY good), but just wants to spin around, tumble, climb and jump. He's no flake, though. When he puts his mind to something, he is very diligent to see it through. He does well at school. Is a good son. And a great person.

I am envious. I wish I could see through his lens. Unfortunately life throws a lot at you to cause you to overwork, overthink, overdo. One could say this perspective could be the naivety of a child who has the protection of a loving father and family, but I believe there's more to it.

Someone coined the phrase "take time to smell the roses" that's sweet and all, but I'd like to encourage myself and others to certainly smell flowers, but also to see people in color, and spin and jump. I know, kind of hippie, but....

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. Psalm 28:7

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't read this withour a lump in my throat. You've got a great perception of #2. Right on, and precious. Reminds me a bit of a boy I know who was born back in 1967...

    ReplyDelete