Wednesday, November 10, 2010

This Than or This

In raising two boys I have many times tried the reward system to encourage good behavior, decisions or choices. The if you do this than you can technique. This has proven effective in many cases, not so effective in others. Part of me really believes there should be no reward system as a lot of things simply are the right thing to do. And I want my boys to learn that we don't necessarily do something so we can get something, or gain permission to do something, or stave off any unwanted outcome.

I am fortunate enough to work with a team of folks who have spent the last two days reexamining how, what, and why we do what we do as a professional group. It has driven fruitful conversation about motivators. When thinking about professional environments, we typically look at a reward and goal system. If we do this than we will achieve High Sales, Profit, Recognition, Relationship, Promotion, Time Off, etc..

But what about us? How much of what we do is reward or result driven—solely reward or result driven. Or to stave off an unwanted outcome.

What if we took a this only approach? Not only in our professional lives, but more importantly in our personal lives.
  • This is active
  • This concentrates on how I do things
  • This is rooted in why I do things
  • This is grounded in belief, faith, compassion and restoration
Moreover, selfless. This is what I will do and this is how I will do it. I am not talking vocation or activity, but more energy and spirit.

What if we could all take this approach and not only blur any lines between the personal and professional, but decide we'd let outcomes rest out of our own hands. Trusting in God to deliver whatever outcome He deemed appropriate, or right. What sort of impact could we have?

Risky, yes. Exciting, definitely. Easy, no. Can I do this?

Psalm 37:5 states "Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and He will do this"

No comments:

Post a Comment