Monday, March 29, 2010

I'll Take the Rest

I am a worker and a doer. I've shared with colleagues and others that I've got a propensity to, when a project or opportunity gets large and needs heavy attention, take the dammit, just work harder and work more default approach. That's just how I am—how God made me. I have a deep appreciation for strategic thinking and planning, and believe I am pretty good at it. But when the stove begins to heat up, my first response is to my default.

Yesterday, Crawford Loritts, our Pastor at Fellowship Bible Church in Roswell, GA, painted a wonderful picture of Christ's supremacy over all things. He (Loritts) particularly referenced one of Jesus' miracles He (Jesus) performed while crossing the Sea of Galilee. In a nutshell, Jesus and his highly-trained fishermen disciples are on a boat ride and the wind kicks up pretty bad. Thunder, lighting, waves, etc. These highly-trained fishermen are freaking out and Jesus is sleeping in the back of the boat. The guys wake him up and want him to fix this. Jesus stands up and, as commander of creation, exclaims "Peace! Be still!" to which His creation complies.

Well I realize I, as His creation, have not be complying. I took some rest this Sabbath. It feels good. At this moment, I am amid a large project, and will continue to work and do, however I need to make sure to steal some time for rest and meditation along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment