Friday, March 19, 2010

Inherent Responsibilities

In Donald Miller's A Million Miles in A Thousand Years, a recommended read, Miller makes the declaration that "...one of the reasons we fail to acknowledge the brilliance of life is because we don't want the responsibility inherent in the acknowledgment".

I had to write this down. I thought this was beautiful. I/we (I am gonna say "we" 'cause I am not alone) can get so caught up in the day-to-day doldrums. We are concerned about the immediate moment. We are concerned about resolution within our households. We are concerned with our careers. Not to mention, what people can think of us. We can either miss or ignore the "brilliance of life".

I don't think this is some hippie/zen thing. This is a thrilling acknowledgment of our position. The inherent responsibility lies within our role with our fellow man, our family, our work, our world, and mostly our place in God's plan. We have to pay attention.

This excites me, because it truly gives me perspective that there is a bigger picture outside of the right here and now. It also excites me because the here and now play an important role in the bigger picture. Today, I am digging this inherent responsibility. Tomorrow it may be overlooked, or feel like drudgery. That is why we need to frequently, even ceaselessly, steal time to recognize our God and Creator, His love for us and others, and how we believe He'd have us spend our brilliant moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment