Monday, March 22, 2010

Gimme Shelter (or Not)

I've always loved how a movie can move you. Particularly when you enter the theater when the sun is shining and, after being taken on a cinematic roller coaster ride, you exit into the dusk or dark. It always is a surreal "what planet am I on" experience....at least for me.

Yesterday the family went to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Not exactly a cinematic roller coaster, but for some reason, it moved me. Not off the planet, but just into some deep thought. I suppose it is because the movie chronicles a young boy's move to middle school, and I have one boy, my first born (#1), on the cusp of middle school himself.

Wimpy Kid had the proverbial bully (a girl in this case), peer pressure, and the overall need for self-definition and peer acceptance. I believe the boys were sort of affected by the actualization of a forthcoming move to the middle school experience. I know I was.

As a parents, we try so hard to protect our children from things, or moreover, try to support them through times of change and trial. I believe my wife and I do a good job of allowing our boys to face life circumstances like schoolwork, bruised knees and bruised egos, without over-protection, but moreover, loving support and open ears and arms—within this, the proper course correction. I believe this is best. This is where freedom and trust mature within our parent/child relationship.

For those of us (probably all reading) who've been through some bruising, we understand that this is where the growth comes, and the character is formed. Growth in our knowledge of life's hardships (some greater than others), growth in our relationship with others, and growth in the realization of what we can overcome. Also, these times are incredibly developmental in growing a relationship with God.

As a parent, we warn our children of things, and coach our children through things. I believe God does this immensely well through the Word, friends, spouses, mentors, and prayer. I know that I have been warned and coached by God. But I know the times which have meant the most to me were when I experienced the bruising. These are the times were trust and faith truly come into play. These are times where God will say I know things are tough out there, but I am still here and with you. And I know this hurts. Frankly, it hurts me too. You just have to go through this right now. I can tell you more about why, later.

Honestly, I am on the fence about #1's move to middle school. I know it'll be great for him. I also know there will be times where I'd like to just take away any discomfort, peer pressure, or hurt. I suppose this will be as much about me and my continued growth as a parent, man, husband, and child of God as it will #1.

No comments:

Post a Comment