Thursday, March 11, 2010

Calamitous Shortcomings

I don't know if it encourages me to read the story of David and Bathsheba or not, but it got me thinking of the many people in the Bible which are displeasing to God. What borderline encourages me, is when these displeasing folks oftentimes become men and women of exemplary faith. Some even are the bloodline of Christ, or foundational rocks of the church.

I read the account of David and Bathsheba this morning. In a nutshell, David is hot for Bathsheba, has sex with her, she gets pregnant, then has her husband killed in a war so he won't know she's knocked up. The NIV ends 2 Sam: 11 with "But the thing David had done displeased the Lord". I don't wanna displease the Lord. Doesn't sound like a smart thing to do. Yet we are well aware that David went on to bigger and better things—the bloodline to the Christ.

So my borderline encouragement was tracking. I see that God uses imperfect people to do amazing things to advance His kingdom. I know that I have many shortcomings, and I do believe I am a "good" Christian. I believe that in spite of myself, God can use me. Here is were the borderline encouragement ends and turns into a bit of fear.

2 Sam: 12 reads of Nathan coming to visit David (this is post David's "shortcoming"). Nathan tells David a story of a guy who loves and takes care of his lamb and another guy comes and kills it for dinner. This pisses David off. He thinks this story isn't nice. He doesn't think it's nice for some guy to kill and eat someone's lamb. Then Nathan tells David that he wasn't nice either. Then Nathan tells him that the Lord says—"Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity upon you." That doesn't sound good. I wouldn't want the Lord bringing calamity on my house. Then David's kid he has with Bathsheba dies.

So what about me. I think shortcomings are great. I believe they can pay witness to a sinful nature in need of redemption. I believe they can create a connection with people—serving as wonderful transparencies to pull people into communication. I am a shortcomer. But the "displeasing the Lord" and "calamity" thing is not good. I suppose this has to do with the "fear of the Lord" thing and frankly, it frightens me.

My friend Clark has said on more than one occasion (don't know if this is his or taken) "I like a man with a limp". A limp means we've been hurt, or wounded. A limp means that although we've been hurt or wounded, we are again walking. God uses those who displease Him. Their may be "calamities" or "limps" as a result of God's displeasure or as a direct affect of our sin. This leads me to not be encouraged by my shortcomings, for this displeases the Lord. But to keep my mind on the prize. Repent of shortcomings. And rejoice in my limp.

May God keep my eyes on the prize and not those things which displease Him.

1 comment:

  1. Rick--I totally agree that shortcomings are great. Not only are they the opportunity for us to realize how impossible it is for us to be "god" of our lives, but they are the window through which we can see how great our God is!! Also, I think a person WITHOUT a limp must be one who has not wrestled with God very much.(Reminds me of Jacob..,and just think of how God used him...warts and all!(Love, Mom)

    ReplyDelete