Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mornings, Healthcare & My 90

It is always an interesting school morning in my house. You never know what side of the bed any one of us is going to get out of. And, let's just say there are some usual suspects. Does wrong side of bed grouch beget another grouch? And what happens to the right side of the bed? Does the right side metamorphose into a wrong sider as well?

This reminded of some words from Chuck Swindoll regarding our attitude:
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.



Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.



The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.



And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes."

I absolutely love this—the 90% thing. It really gives us quite a bit of control within any situation—even those out or our control.

Recently, there has been a lot of blubbering about Health Care Reform. I can see two sides to this story. The ways and means to essentially "care" for the people in our country are pretty broad. As of today, the Federal Government has taken over quite a bit of the "care" of our citizens. There are a lot of people, and even states which are pissed off about this.

I wonder about one thing. And believe another.

I wonder what the attitude will be with this recent shift. What will be done with their/our/my 90%. Certainly there will be yelling. Certainly there will be stumping. Certainly there will be joy. Certainly there will be cynicism. Certainly there will be sighs of relief. There most likely will even be lawsuits. And yes, there will be voting.

I believe that this Reform was unnecessary, and should not have even been part of the story. I believe that we as individuals, and moreover the "church" itself have not been doing a lot with our/their 90% in the first place. We have failed to fully care for, contribute to, and help heal our fellow folks? I believe this is our individual role, and the role of faith-based institutions (those which espouse to do such things at least). Certainly there are those which do this well, but I am speaking broadly.

Healthcare is timely debate right now, but what about everyday and always. What is the attitude we take for each day? Do we choose to take control of all situations and use 90%? And are we considering that our 90% can have both positive or negative impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment